Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Transition and the Journey 7: Where does Scripture fit in?

(March 13, 2011 .... Sunday morning)

Me:  Good morning!

Myself:  Good morning!

Me:  Is "I" joining us this morning?

Myself:  Don't think so.  I think our Third Dimension hasn't awoke yet. 

Me:  Oh that feeling.  Part of me is awake, but the rest is still in bed. 

Myself:  No worries.  We can still continue the conversation from yesterday. 

Me:  Where do you want to take it today?

Myself:  I do want to clear something up that "I" failed to conclude in the conversation from yesterday.  It is not up to us to save anyone - spiritually speaking.  We must know the difference between what is our "mission" and what is the Holy Spirit's "passion". 

Me: If that is the case.  If someone else's salvation is really not our job to accomplish, then that should release the fear in people that we were talking about yesterday. 

Myself:  It should, but it doesn't. All I know if that I can't do anything to change anyone's belief.  Some days I don't even know what my job is...

"I have other sheep that are not in this flock, and I must bring them home also.  They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock and one shepherd."

 A Jesus quote from John 10:18... seems pretty straight forward to me. 

Me:  As for our job... maybe it has something to do with being a friend... without an agenda. 
Myself:  My thoughts exactly!!


I:  Good morning!

Me: Where were you?

I:  Eating breakfast.

Myself:  That would explain why I wasn't fully here.

Me:  We are all here now, shall we continue.

I:  I read something this morning that I would like to share.

Me: Okay, share away.

I:  I know it has been awhile since I have opened the book.  But I opened it today and found a real nifty gem of inspiration.

Myself:  Kind of like the one from John that we just talked about.

I:  Something like that.  I think I finally get the part about reading the book like a love letter instead of an owner's manual. Something I heard somewhere.  I was told for years that to live as a "Christian", one of the things you had to do was read the Bible every day.  The book was life and to have life, you had to read the book.    

Me:  Go on.

I:  I read because I had to, to do otherwise would jeopardize my spiritual health.  It was an owner's manual to operating my faith.  "The Word of God"  I was trained to profess and believe. 

Myself: Most people call the Bible the Word of God. 

I:  Most people, but not the Bible itself.  The Bible never refers to itself as the Word of God.  The
Bible only refers to Jesus as the Word of God. 

Me"In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 
John 1 vs 1.  Most believers have that one memorized.

Myself:  They have it memorized, but do they believe it.  I think the "most" we are referring to  have replaced Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Life... with the book.

I: Not far off.  That is why I was so blown away by what I read this morning.  It was right there in John 5.  I have heard it mentioned on the God Journey podcast, but this morning was the first time it really stuck out for me in the words themselves.  A genuine quote from Jesus... There is a lot there, but this is what stood out for me today.

"But I have proof about myself that is greater than that of John. The things I do, which are the things my Father gave me to do, prove that my Father sent me. And the Father himself who sent me has given proof about me."

Myself:  I like where this is going. The Father and the Son are each other's proof.  We live in a world that is trying to prove God and the existence of God.  It seems from this quote that God can prove himself to the world. 

I: My thoughts exactly! But I am not done yet.

"... You never heard his voice or seen what he looks like. His teaching does not live in you, because you don't believe in the One the Father sent."

Me: Did you know that Jesus is talking to the guys that read their scriptures every day.  Read their Bible every day.  These are Scribes and the Pharisees he is talking to.  The Scribes are they boys who rewrote and rewrote the Scriptures. 

I:  I know.  There is more...

"You carefully study the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. They do in fact tell about me, but you refuse to come to me to have life."

Myself:  Wow! That is a mouthful.

Me:  That totally sums up everything Jesus was trying to say to the Pharisees of his day -- the dudes in their long robes and tassels and bible verses tied to their heads.

I:  I think Jesus gives Scripture it's place of importance here.  It is the story, not the Life.  Jesus is the Life.  Jesus is the Word. 

Me:  Isn't that what we are struggling with right now? The place of Scripture in our life?

Myself:  I think part of the struggle in letting go of our religious expectations, is letting go of what was deemed essential by the rules of religion and finding out what IS essential to our relationship with Jesus.

Me:  The Way, The Truth and The Life.

I: Exactly.

Me: Do we know what that is yet?

Myself:  I am not sure. I think we are learning, though.

I:  We have chosen to let go of a lot.

Me:  Will we ever get it back?

Myself:  After sitting in that funeral yesterday, seeing what it looked like to be addicted to ritual,  I sure hope not.  But I really want the real thing.  I really want the beauty of the relationship with the Father, with Jesus and with the Holy Spirit that is often preached, but so seldom practiced. I want something real and I don't know what it looks like.

Me:  Thus the Journey part of this blog series.  It is a journey.  The transition is painful and joyful in the same breath. 

I:  Are we going to continue with the Evangelism Agenda conversation next time? 

Me:  Will  you be here to converse with us? 

Myself:  It was you who brought the topic up.  Wouldn't be right to do it without you. 

I:  I think I can drop in.  Let me know when you need me.

Me:  We need you.  We always need you

Myself:  You are our Third Dimension!

I:  Okay.  I am in.  I would like to talk about our personal experience with the Evangelism Agenda.  No sense pointing fingers anywhere else when we can't fess up to our own part in this epidemic. 

Me:  Til' next time, shall we?

Myself:  Til' next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment